Garrett Noonan; Day 2: The Power Outage


Last night at around 11 thirty Cole, Adam and I fell asleep while watching Sportscenter. As the rookie in the room the “vets” told me before falling asleep make sure that the wake up call doesn’t ring more then twice or there would be consequences. On most occasions I would make sure that I was up before the wake up call to keep the veteran players happy. Although, the way they approached it last night was a little obscene so I decided to let them get the wake up call this morning. Although hearing about it for most of the morning from Ikks and Tommy and taking a few pucks off the shins in morning skate, I laughed it off, as did they. At 7:30 we went down stairs to eat breakfast then around 7:45 we boarded the bus and took the short ride down to the rink for an 8:30 morning skate. Typically during morning skate you just try to get a feel for the puck and break a sweat. Today was nothing new as we stayed on the ice for about 20 minutes and got off and went back to the hotel to get some rest. I awoke at around noon from a text message from Drew George asking if I wanted to take a walk to the gas station. Not knowing the weather outside I said sure.Not only did we run into a typhoon our clothes got soaked as well. Drew and I hung out for a bit in my room because Adam and Cole had woken up from there naps too. At around 2:30 we got on the bus and went to Kane’s again for pregame meal. The food just like last night was top notch. After going back to the hotel Adam, Cole and I chatted it up for a little over an hour before putting our suits back on for the third time of the day and getting on the bus for the first game of the coastal road trip vs. the Powell River Kings. Before the game I usually sit in the stands with a few of the guys and talk for a little while before I go and play sewer ball with the vets. As we prepared for the game we took the ice for warmups. I had a pretty good warmup and was feeling pretty good about the game as me and my partner Adam Thompson connected as a few nice D-to-D passes. That’s very rare for us in warmups. Warmups ended and the teams cleared the ice. That’s when everything went downhill. The typhoon that I was caught in earlier in the day had taken the power out of the rink. After waiting in a dark locker room for a little over 35 minutes the league officials decided to cancel the game not knowing how long it would take to fix. I tried to get some inside information from Ferns and Willy to tell the readers, but I am not sure when the game will be made up but might have an answer for you in tomorrow’s blog. After we left the rink we were still able to go out to eat and went to Kane’s for dinner where we had club sandwiches and french fries. After dinner we went back to the hotel and packed our things as we leave for Surrey tomorrow morning at 7 am.