All in a Week of Fun With the Vernon Vipers - #28 Adam Thompson

Well the past couple of weeks we’ve been lucky to primarily have games held on the weekends (with the exception of Merritt last Tuesday), therefore the guys and I got to participate in some good team bonding sessions. First on the fun menu was the team bowling at Lincoln Lanes. This fine establishment has held a few Vipers bowling competitions over the years, but its safe to say that the more I bowl, the worse I get. My luck is running out to say the least. Anyhow, at around 9 PM we all laced up our styling bowling shoes and hit the hardwood. First, I have to mention how easy it is to Michael Jackson moonwalk in these shoes. Even a hard-pressed dancer such as myself can pull off some moves, or I like to think at least. The teams were dealt out and two practice frames/rounds were played. My team consisted of newcomer Curtis Gedig, Braden Pimm and Patty Mcgillis. For the life of me I couldn’t get a strike, while Pimmer bowled strikes like it was his day job. I was somewhat surprised Bryce Kakoske wasn’t awesome at bowling because he seems to be really good at useless or less common sports. Anyhow, for the life of me I can’t remember the other teams but regardless, we were all divided into teams of four and two teams of three and some serious bowling was initiated.


After some intense moments followed shortly by disappointing gutter balls, we were in the final frame. Its important to note that the last placed team has to buy the first place team Marble Slab ice cream. This is a key point because the competition level picks up immensely as Marble Slab ice cream can be an expensive treat and no one has the pay roll to afford such gifts. After everything was said and done, my team finished second, closely behind Kevin Kraus, Connor Jones, Cole Ikkala and Mike Collins. We probably should have been first but my disappointing score cause a significant drop in the team average. Team leader Braden Pimm bowled the best round score after getting something like 5 strikes in a row and 6 strikes in 7 frames. This kid had great form and a good technique, which he attempted to teach to me, but failed miserably. The night was highlighted however by a team of four who cheated their way out of last place. Henceforth, they were automatically given last place and the marble slab tab was handed off to their wallets. All in all it was a good night and good chance for team bonding.

The following night was our annual “Rookie Dinner” held at Boston Pizza. Goaltending coach Sean Matile and his family manage this fine establishment, where a quick, affordable and delicious meal is always available. Rookie dinner is always a good time, unless of course you’re a rookie. Quite simply, this is a time for all the veteran players to order whatever they want and however much they want. The catch however, is that the rookies have to divide and conquer the bill for themselves, which is often fairly expensive. “Tiller” usually gives us a good deal in the spirit of things, which helps the rookies immensely. This tasty meal is followed by some rookie initiation of some sorts where the rookies are required to sing classic children’s songs such as “Itsy Bitsy Spider” or “I’m a little Tea Pot.” This is usually quite hilarious and embarrassing. I distinctively remember last year’s event and how red I got in the face when my turn was up. The funniest moment of my rookie dinner was watching Steve Weinstein, Kory Kane and Cole Ikkala shadow box in the middle of the restaurant. Shadow boxing requires a person to pretend he is boxing his shadow, which ends up looking a lot like he is sparring. It is equally funny as embarrassing to say the least. All in all it was a fun night and again a good team bonding session.

Lastly, I would like to congratulate and thank all the fans that came to the teddy bear toss game last night. Everyone who managed to donate food and contribute to a good cause deserves a pat on the back. I know I would have loved to score that first goal to get the teddy bears on the ice, but it was good to see Micker get it. It’s always good to see the ice littered with bears and knowing that someone somewhere will receive a cuddly bear this Christmas. On that note, I want to wish a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to everyone. Enjoy the holidays and more importantly stay safe.