VernonCentral asked Vipers players Michael Collins and Garrett Noonan...

VC: What are you doing to prepare for the playoffs to defend the Vipers' RBC Cup title?


Michael: We take two weeks off before the first playoff game, we try to get back to the basics, just to keep the ball rolling.

Garrett: The team does everything necessary to try and stay fresh; we try to do the right things on and off the ice which helps to make sure we're prepared.

VC: Who is your personal mentor; who really got you passionate about the game?

Garrett: My father, Joe. Both my brothers also played hockey, I followed in their footsteps.

Mike: My uncle Jay, who also went to the same high school that I did. Growing up he'd take me out to play
hockey in the back yard.

VC: What is the importance of the coaching staff during the game; how do they motivate you to be the top performers you are?

Garrett: They play a huge role before the game including preparation for the game. They make sure we're ready to go, also making in-game adjustments when necessary. They do a great job.

Mike: If you trust your coaching staff, they'll have trust in you. That'll also have an affect on what kind of game you're playing.

VC: Picture this: you've made it to the NHL, who do you envision yourselves playing for?

Garrett: Toronto or Detroit because they're awesome hockey cities; they have large hockey crowds, as well as huge tradition!

Michael: Boston. Playing for them would be a pretty cool thing to do, because I grew up watching them!

VC: What's you're favourite pre or post-game meal?

Garrett: Lynn [Chisholm] makes GREAT pre-game hamburger wraps. They're my favourite.
Editor's note: Mike and Garrett are billeted by Rick and Lynn Chisholm.

Michael: Chicken and rice. Anything cooking-related is saved for Lynn. We're not so good at it!

VC: How many times have you emptied the fridge this week

Mike: Twice.

VC: What else do you enjoy about Vernon? What got you to play here?

Mike: Vernon's a nice small town, it's great to have 2000 people watch you play hockey. The people are great here!

Garrett: I really like the people here compared to some other places, everyone's friendly. Staying at Rick and Lynn's has been awesome. Originally, Mike was here in town before me, so he was the one that suggested [I come to Vernon]. Mike and I were pretty good friends in high school, and as the hockey season progressed, Mike asked me if I would be interested in playing here. He helped me get on the team. It was pretty sweet!


VC: Who to thank?

Garrett and Mike both thank their friends and family for helping them come as far as they have in the BCHL. "God too," quips Michael.